Memories of the 1990s

[by Nicholas Clarke, 1989-1995]

     I joined LGS in 1989, and within the first week, my year had already been informed that we would be in the U6 in the School's Quincentenary year. The word 'Queen' was also used freely, but perhaps that shouldn't be mentioned.

     The two rooms which I remember most from the first year are the old art block, which was my form-room for a short time, and the dining hall. The two were very similar, pale green inside and reminiscent of prefabs. I also remember the huge portions of chips which were dealt out. These portions seemed to decrease in size as I myself increased.

     During my 'middle years' at LGS not a great deal happened, or rather, it is too early to admit to some things. However, I did not set fire to the N-block ! At this point I ought to apologise to the French Student teacher who only taught me the word 'culminating' by writing it on my detention card !

     The move into the sixth form was like the move into adulthood only faster, so I'm told ! The teachers' attitudes towards us changed, and we responded with maturity most of the time. However, the free time given to us was often used for some unconventional extra-curricular activity. The phenomenal spring nature of the trees in the sixth form garden, for example, provided a great game, and the idea of studying during a study period was one beyond the comprehension of all sixth-formers.

     Apart from the academic part of 1995, as we have been continually reminded, a lot else occurred. The first main event which I was involved in was 'The Burton Mass', and what can be said. My piano teacher, an ex-High School music teacher, summed it up best by saying, "I don't know how Dr. Underwood dares to subject people to this !" Following this was '500 celebrate the 500th', an excellent concert, and then came the big one. I was in the choir, and so travelled to London a day early with the monitors from my year. The last hour of the journey consisted of Mr. Weitzel convincing the U6 present that the pubs in London closed at 8.30, and he didn't care whose birthday it was. Luckily some of us had come prepared, but although the night was young, most of us got to bed at  a reasonable hour, the thought of our jobs on the big day looming over us. The big day finally came, and was a great success. However, one 'monitor', no names mentioned, forgot his tie and had to borrow my spare. By making us wear uniform on the bus journey there, Mr. Weitzel had intended to prevent this, but we knew best and travelled casually. Lastly came Carmina Burana. I and other sixth-form singers had only managed to go to a few rehearsals due to exams. When it came to cramming the choir on the stage, Dr. Underwood cursed the late-comers who had only been to a few rehearsals. We agreed that these people had been very selfish !

     On our second to last day, the morning after the 'South Pacific' cast party, the Headmaster gave his 'fatherhood' speech, making a lot of hung over young men feel very old. Our time had come, and we were leaving. However, there was a distinct feeling that to the rest of them just another year was passing. We are left with  just the memories of Mr. Moore's music lessons, and trying to have a party on the 1st. XI cricket square, and a lot of useless blue shirts !